Monday, January 13, 2014

Our Curriculum 2014...

Its that time of year again and we have been busy planning and getting curriculum together for the coming school year.
Two more weeks of holidays to go, and to be honest if it wasn't for the fact that we are actually still missing a few bits and bobs, we would have started back already.  The kids are excited to start - especially Anthony as this is his first official year of preschool.

This year is all about organisation, flexibility and record keeping!  Last year we were pretty slack about keeping records.   Hence I have my organiser all ready to go..


 I do have a pile of Samantha's books and unit studies from last year which is a good indication, but this year I want an actual record of what we want achieved and where we are in regards to that.  Not just for our own peace of mind, but also in case anyone ever knocks on our door and wants to see it.

So this is what we have so far.  Don't worry I will break it down some :)





So this is the pile.  There is a few things missing as I said, but in here we have a selection of both kids this year.  Going clockwise from the top left we have

Letter of the week Curriculum (Anthony) - www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com
Spelling - Grade 1 and 2 (year 2/3) spelling word lists from www.readingrocket.com
Spanish - Grade 1 spanish from Duolingo.com
Geography/Animal Science - Expedition Earth - www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com
Spelling - Sequenital Spelling 1 (not sure about this as have heard mixed reviews, but we will try it).
Maths - Math U See Alpha
Bible - WWJD - What would Jesus Do.
Science - Backyard Scientist practical experiments
Art/Craft - (Middle) Will be used in conjunction with Worlds Greatest Artist Study - www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com
Reading - Reading Eggs - which admittedly we don't use as much as we should as our sound on the computer isn't working :(

We are still missing our English and Social Studies books, but I will be be placing an order for a couple of the Start right books from ESA Publications this week to help cover those.  I also have some books coming from the NZ Curriculum facebook page to help with English/reading.  




Here is a better look at Anthony's first week of the Letter of the week curriculum :)  This isn't quite ready, but I have lots of things to cut out and lots more laminating to do before we start. 
The first week is the Letter A (funny that), and it has everything from puzzles, colourings, tracing, cutting practise etc. 

On the right I have some very cute workbox labels with Jake and the Neverland pirates on them that we printed from www.1+1+1.com.   I printed My little pony for Samantha and both will go on my lovely new re-purposed filing cabinet that hubby painted for us.  I just need to buy some velcro dots before we are ready to go.  (I saw them at the stationary shop yesterday but nearly fell over at the price!).
The middle yellow drawer of this cabinet is the half way mark, and has plain white paper in so the kids don't have to ask me anymore to get it for them :)

You will get to see all these things in action as we get into the term.  The plan is to re-assess when we get to the mid year point and will make changes then if necessary.  But I am pretty happy with this for now :)
Just a few more stationary items to buy (folders, dividers, paper clips etc).  Other than that we are pretty much organised. 
The school room has had a bit of a clean up and is ready to go, along with our new 100's chart (that the kids and I made last term) and our brand new Coconut Tree.  I can't bring myself to take down the kids art work, but we will replace it as new ones are done this year.

Top half is mine - Bottom half for the kids workboxes :)
Great to have somewhere to store all my stationary supplies :)
Our curriculum is stacked on top today - ready to organise!
The brand new coconut tree - Anthony is itching to start putting on the letters.

100's chart.
All musical instruments (apart from the keyboard) are now in their own corner.
Bookshelf has a mix of puzzles, stationary books, puzzle blocks, Maths blocks etc

Table still in use even in holidays - every day this gets covered!
Geography corner with our postcards from last year - hopefully we can add more!
More storage for paper, playdough toys, keyboard and of course the bird nest Samantha found :)
Art Wall - we will update eventually :)  And the old Coconut tree  - poor thing :(
My new toy!  Just waiting for the laminating sheets to come in the post, then I plan to laminate the World :)
So that's it for now.  In regards to my last post, obviously I have decided to carry on for now.  The plan is to see how it goes and move more towards a more schooly blog for now. 
I am still feeling very hurt by what was said to me (more than I like to admit) and a feeling pretty betrayed as i thought my sister in law and I had a good relationship.  'sigh'.  When you add this to what went on last year with my so called friend it just makes me feel pretty darn yuck!

Anyway moving on....

Sterryn :)




No comments: